Hi 

I will carrty on with the saga of our new Australian Buddies Having spoken to them at great length I realise why they did not continue their journey yesterday. The plain and simple fact is that as you enter Castlefield Basin your first lock is straight ahead however with the lock gates open and a torrent of water pouring over the top of the lock gates it really does look like a Water Fall and to someone who has never seen a proper lock before it must have looked very scary. I still blame the canal hire companies for their lack of explanation and instruction.

With the canal system as it is (falling apart) we are looking at our first fatality and thats not scaremongering its a basic fact these inexperienced boaters are told that they can complete the Cheshire ring in a matter of ten days now most boats like our Aussie Buddies only hire for ten days now to my memory the  Cheshire ring is 120 miles long has 92 locks now I am not saying it cannot be done because it can but those who have done it are fit if nit at the start but are at the finish. What I am saying is it is not a holiday it would require everyday ding an average of 10/12 hours cruising. I will admit that you pass through some wonderful countryside though the Ashton canal has a lot to be desired, the Peak Forest  and the Macclesfield are stunning IF YOU HAVE TIME TO ENJOY THEM.

Again in this wonderful of finance I see £ signs in front of safety and enjoyment when I started boating everything was for the beauty, the comradeship of other boaters, and the pleasure of rural British countryside  

I have left our intrepid Aussies my number in case of any other mishaps but they seem to be getting on ok and we have decided that Noreen and I will make for Anderton post haste as that where their journey ends for a celebratory drink  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

crossing Barton Bridge

Ferry across Merssey